01 October 2011

Day 1-31 Days of Samhuinn Cooking-Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

There is the basic recipe and then my version of the recipe. I strive to use organic and very healthy options for all the ingredients. I also like fresh grated spices as well as a more robust spice flavor in my foods. When writing this recipe I went with the most successful version at the time (my family were all guinea pigs) when we didn't really care much about what was getting eaten. Now we watch our fats, and work to eat more organics to avoid hormones, pesticides and junk. I have subbed stevia in the filling, I don't mind its taste but others tend to eeuw a bit. The filling recipe was originally my late grandmother's. I don't like sicky sweet anything so this was always my favorite filling. Her original recipe contained oleo and lard which I just had to do away with. The filling can sometimes soften a bit too much so refrigeration is recommended. However, these pies are such a huge hit we never have leftovers.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

2 cups demerara (or turbinado) sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I use light olive oil)
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
2 eggs
3 cups flour (cake flour or whole wheat white), sifted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp ginger
1 tsp fresh grated or ground nutmeg
1/2 Tbsp ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350. Beat sugar and oil until well blended. Add pumpkin and eggs.
In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients then add to wet mixture. Mix well.
Drop by heaping teaspoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes.
Cool, then make sandwich from 2 cookies filled with the following.


Filling:

1st mix:

2TB butter
2TB flour
1/2c milk

heat and thicken then cool.

2nd mix:

1/2c non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
1/2c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2tsp ground ginger
pinch of nutmeg

cream well and add to first mix then beat with an electric mixer.

-Stephanie Lowell-Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment