26 October 2011

Day 26-31 Days of Samhuinn Cooking-Colcannon

If you're Irish, you probably know this dish.  Hopefully not the version where the cabbage and leeks are cooked until anemic-looking and utterly tasteless and foul!  Maybe that's the New England Irish way?  hee hee Below is the version I first posted on my site, Hearth and Home Witchery, many many years ago.  At the time I did not have the time to finesse all the recipes, I was going for quantity over quality. I have never actually cooked this recipe as it reads below, I'd never get Pixie to eat it otherwise.   For this recipe, I reworked it as follows-saute the cabbage/kale with the leeks after cooking the potatoes.  Add to the potatoes, followed by the warmed milk and cook a bit to let flavors meld.  You can either serve as is or take an electric hand blender and whiz this all up.


Colcannon

1 pound cabbage or kale
1 pound potatoes
2 leeks
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch ground mace
1/2 cup butter

In a large saucepan, boil cabbage until tender; remove and chop or blend well. Set aside and keep warm. Boil potatoes until tender. Remove from heat and drain. Chop leeks, green parts as well as white, and simmer them in just enough milk to cover, until they are soft. Season and mash potatoes well. Stir in cooked leeks and milk. Blend in the kale or cabbage and heat until the whole is a pale green fluff. Make a well in the center and pour in the melted butter. Mix well.

Makes 5 servings 


more Samhuinn recipes found on my site


No comments:

Post a Comment