23 October 2011

Day 23-31 Days of Samhuinn Cooking-Turnip Gratin

After a long, busy day today with Pixie's birthday party I'm taking the easy way out and sharing a recipe I first made years ago when I had a ton of turnips harvested from the garden and I was on a French cooking bender.  This was flavored with dry mustard, a pinch of nutmeg and for herbs I used some basil and oregano. Don't quote me on the converted measurements, I'm half asleep. ;)

Turnip Gratin

Serves: 4

400g turnips, purple top turnips, the small ones, work best.I'm not sure how it translates but I use 3-4 small/med turnips)
half a head fresh garlic (or 1 clove dried)
75g pancetta ham (1/3c)
25g butter roughly 2 TB
150ml double cream (heavy cream here in the States) (abt 2/3c)
1 tsp dried herbs (use fresh if you have)
   
1. Peel the turnip and cut into thin slices. Parboil for just 2 minutes. Butter a small ovenproof dish. Cut the pancetta ham into thin julienne.

2. Put the parboiled turnip slices in a pan and add the cream, ham and salt and pepper. Simmer gently until the turnip is tender.

3. Spoon the mixture into the overproof dish and grill until lightly
browned.

You can also add sliced potatoes to this recipe but they will need to be parboiled just a bit longer than the turnips which are still young and tender.

Source: unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment