07 October 2011

Day 7-31 Days of Samhuinn Cooking-Date Bran Muffins

As it is nearing the month of Samhuinn I thought I would share a few family recipes. This recipe is the most well known in my family, my late grandmother's famous date bran muffins. She would often double the recipe and have bags full of muffins to hand out to visitors or to family at gatherings. What I love best about these is that the muffin size is what a serving size used to be, not the gargantuan muffins of today.

Gram's Date Bran Muffins

6c. bran cereal
1 lb chopped dates
2c. boiling water
1c. butter
1qt buttermilk
5c. flour
1tsp salt
1c. honey
5 tsp baking soda
5 eggs

Pour boiling water over bran cereal and dates and let stand. Cream butter, sift dry ingredients together and add to butter alternately with buttermilk. Stir in bran-date mixture. Beat in eggs.
Bake in greased muffin tins in 400* oven for 15 min.

Makes about 6 dozen muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment