09 October 2011

Day 13-44 Days of Witchery-What are some of the witchy books that influenced you?

The very first book I read on anything remotely witchy was a Scott Cunningham book when I was 21 and five years into my pagan path.  Seems odd? Yeah, probably, however at the time there were not a lot of reading materials out there for the young witch, or at least any that appealed to me or that I felt comfortable with.  Some of the old still gave me the willies and still does, so I listened to that and just did not read the "must reads" that all good pagans feel must be read.

While I thoroughly enjoy Laurie Cabot's Celebrate the Earth I have never recommended it to anyone new to the path.  This book has lovely ideas and inspiration to it however I found too much speculation treated as fact in it and to someone new to the path with no background in history, Celtic or otherwise, this book can be misleading.  Still, by the state of the book in the photo you can see it has been well read  This book represents to me my need to think critically and question everything.  Put simply, find your own truth.

Ceisiwr Serith's The Pagan Family gets the honor of my absolute favorite and most influential book. I purchased it while pregnant with Pixie and integrated several parts of it into my celebrations.  I have been publicly praising this book for years and when I learned that it was no longer in print I wrote to the author in hopes he would have a reprint at some point.  This was 5-6 years ago and at that time the answer was sadly no.  Still, should you ever find this book, snap it up because it's a wonderful read and resource.

Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura (Aoumiel) is my second favorite, actually her entire green series however I only own the first and will borrow my sister's books (and the Grimoire) when the urge strikes.  Of course it has been years.

This is only a small selection of books that have influenced me as it should have read "what witchy authors have influenced you"  Scott Cunningham, clearly one of the most influential authors for pagans new and established.  Patricia Telesco, Kristen Madden, Margie McArthur, and Ann Moura are my top five.


This post is part of the 44 Days of Witchery 

No comments:

Post a Comment